Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Like a Melody in My Head

I feel as if I should make some comment about the following poem. Like explain in full how it's based on an actual conversation, no matter if it didn't happen exactly the way it's presented. But on the other hand, what does it matter, right? It's poetry. They tell us that poetry can come out of anything and from anywhere. That maybe you could even make a poem out of the words on the back of a cereal box. (I'm pretty sure it's been done.) So it's really hard to say what poetry even is. Us poets just keep on trying and hope that at least one person will like what we do. Whatever that means.
Nonetheless, here it is:


LIKE A MELODY IN MY HEAD

She raises her brow and continues to hum.
Now I'm going to go to sleep humming this song.
She says, "What are you writing?"

"A poem that you're writing."
She furrows her brow,
"I didn't know I was writing."

You don't feel your hand moving
And your brain hurting slightly?

I think I'll keep this poem to myself....

4 comments:

  1. Wow....thats sounds like a pretty accurate convo...but then again..How would I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that's the kind of thing that hurts your brain....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm.... makes you think.. a little too hard...

    ReplyDelete