Tuesday, March 31, 2015

On Current Projects (and other ideas)

Welcome to a new look for this blog!  That may or may not mean anything to you, but here it is!

The main new feature I'd like to bring your attention to is the 'Current Projects' box on the left of the page.  I intend to update this regularly to note progress of my various projects as I make headway.

The projects listed are ones that are at or near the top of my list to complete in the relatively near future.  This list may or may not reflect everything I'm working on at the moment, but it should give you a good idea of what's coming.

I'd like to talk about these projects just a little bit today, as well as any other projects I can think to mention, just to give you an idea of what may be coming to a book near you in the coming months (or even years!).

1. Chronicles of Nowhere and a Half

This was a bunch of fun to work on.  I'm glad that I was finally able to publish these stories and share them with all of my dear readers!  Furthermore, I'm again amazed by the wonderful cover art done by S. Joy Troester.

You can read more about my musings on this project in this previous post.

2. Below the Land

This is Universe Adventures: Book 1.  This is a series of fantasy and science fiction adventures that take place in multiple worlds with a variety of characters.  The idea behind this series is to just let flow with the craziest ideas my brain can come up with.  Is it an idea for an epic fantasy tale? Then I'll write that.  Is it maybe a story with a different set of characters that takes place in a sci fi world?  Then I'll write that too!  There's room for all of it across the universe.

The first book in this series follows a group of runaways as they try to understand why a poor girl seems to be cursed with a destructive strength that is a danger to all around her.  People begin to whisper about the long-missing Changers that used to rule the land.

This should be a fun adventure that I'm looking forward to sharing with you all once it's completed.

3. Chronicles of Nowhere Part 2

Part 2.  Book 3.  You follow?  I don't want to give away too much, but this story takes place directly after the end of the epilogue in Crauhnice.  It's ten years after the events of Karl and Serah and Ehirosh and the second invasion of baboons.

Book 3, which is called Raphias, follows Serah's younger brother Laeb, as he and his cousin Jonny seek out adventure in the wide world.  Meanwhile, Ehirosh and Serah are thrust into dangerous times in the lands of Nowhere and Somewhere, as an oppressive government causes the people of Somewhere to make some tough decisions.  Revolution is in the air.

The plan is to publish this story before the end of this year.

4. Strawberry and the Volcano of Dreamscapes

I've never attempted to write a novel like this one before.  It's about a teenage girl called Awbry (she can't stand her given name of Strawberry) and her quest to help her best friend Jake open a restaurant.  The story will show the summer that plays an important role in defining Awbry's life, as well as those around her.

For me, this story has been both a challenge and a joy to work on.  Thanks to a friend of mine who played a huge part in helping me to brainstorm a story like this, I've been able to get to this character called Awbry.  This is probably the most honest and provocative character I've ever written.  I find that she shares many of my own perspectives on the world, but not entirely.  She also has many of her own unique traits and ideas.

I just hope or wish that I can do this story justice and turn it into something that is very enjoyable for people from a variety of demographics to read.  I know I'm having a blast working on it.

Other projects (maybe not this year):

Mystery Traveler - This will likely be a combo of short stories and poems.  It's the next of my more literary books, and it could come out very soon or not until next year.  It's not currently at the top of my to-do list, but if I need a side project, this will most likely be what I turn to.

MyHeart series - This is a trilogy that I've had in the back of my mind for a few years now.  It follows a town that is under a serious threat from a dangerous evil in the lands.  To combat the evil, they try to gain strength under the idea of 'know your enemy'.  Most people unify under this scheme, but others have doubts.

Universe Adventures - There are currently already 5 stories planned for this series.

The Chronicles of Nowhere - There's plenty more to come.  Not everything is as it seems.

Customized Fossils - This is a potential series of novels about life in the Sacred Name Movement.  I've done some work on it, but this will probably be a project that happens when I get around to it and work out the story clearly.  Probably not for awhile under current plans (which are not at all set in stone).

We will see what is to come!

Indeed, much or all of these plans could change at any time.  I believe that the Planner of my life is not really me.  I just try to do the best I have with what I know right now.

Having said that, I hope this reflections helped to provide a little insight into what I am currently working on, as well as some things I'd like to accomplish in the coming months and years.  I think stories are important, and I quite enjoy sharing them with my readers.

So, until next time, enjoy your story!  We all have one to live and share, and they're all important.

No comments:

Post a Comment